Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Whaaaa! Cold weather!

I am from Florida so I don't really understand this cold weather.  In northern Florida, it may get down to freezing on a handful of nights a year, but by noon the next day it is 65 F or above.  I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen flurries and it snows (enough to make the ground white) about once every 100 years.  This happened in 1989 and if you ask anyone who lived in Florida in '89...they will remember the year and where they were.  It's as big as the moon landing was.  I lived at the bottom of the only hill in town (I grew up on an island on the NE coast of Florida so it is relatively flat with one hill that is a whopping 18 feet above sea level) and there were a ton of people who showed up for "sledding".  I'll call it "sledding" because people in Florida don't have sleds...so we improvised.  My favorite "sled" was the kiddie pool...you know those 5 foot diameter plastic tubs for toddlers that are about 1.5 foot tall?  Yeah, a group of guys would pile into one of those kiddie pools and just go until they hit something.

Another fun fact about where I grew up is that they close the schools if it is freezing during the day (doesn't happen often).  We don't have snow days...we have cold days.  Why do they close the schools?  Because the schools don't have a heating system...cause you don't need one.

The point of all this?  It's starting to get cold here (just the tip of the iceberg) and my body is very confused.  What's is a jacket?  How do you put on a scarf?  Hopefully someone will help me and any of those from even warmer climates.

3 comments:

  1. ...

    JKH That's some inspirational things. Never knew that thoughts could possibly be this varied. Thank you for all the enthusiasm to provide such useful information the following. -RB....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...

    First factor , A big many thanks for you to open my eyes....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...

    Good submit! I’ll subscribe correct now wth my feedreader application!...

    ReplyDelete