Saturday, May 30, 2009

$450 later

$450 later and majority of my stuff for the next six months is on its way to Germany. I spent today taping up and lsightly repacking the items I’ve been laying out these past two days that I will need in Germany for my internship. I get two 40 pound bags plus my carry on for my flight so everything else needed to be shipped USPS. I had four boxes totaling about 150 pounds and shipping all of that via international 6-10 day air costs about $450 from Boston to Germany. My plan was to walk down to the Kendall post office (less than a block away from 100 Memorial Apartments) but it turns out they are closed on Saturday (makes sense now that I think about it because the Kendall area is dead on the weekends). Luckily a fellow LGO lives near me and has a car so they drove me and my wife to the post office at Central. I keep saying I need to get a Zipcar account and then I forget about it.

I am only bringing the essentials with me to Germany. Naturally I brought both pairs of my Gator slippers that I wear during football games as well as my orange pants and my orange shorts.
as posted about during the Domestic Plant Trek, here I am with the Don wearing my gameday attire...it just happened that gameday was the same night we had a dinner hosted by Amazon...no matter, I was the bell fo the ball (plus we won the National Championship)

as
posted about during the Domestic Plant Trek, here I am with the Don
wearing my gameday attire...it just happened that gameday was the same
night we had a dinner hosted by Amazon...no matter, I was the bell of
the ball (plus we won the National Championship)


Most everything else I brought was practical. I am leaving over half of my t-shirts (I have way too many t-shirts…which would surprise some people who see me at school because at school I only wear business casual…but I am actually a t-shirt lover).
I have four Ninja Turtle shirts

I have four Ninja Turtle shirts




The only big ticket item I shipped was my desktop pc. My desktop PC is my gaming PC (I bought a minimally powered laptop for school) and I am expecting to have a ton of free time on weeknights (hopefully I’ll experience the culture of Europe on the weekends…RyanAir has $100 flights all over the place) since I don’t speak German and will probably only get BBC and maybe MTV in English.
I know how much ze Germans like Hasselhoff so hopefully I can at least watch Knight Rider...a show like that transends laungage

I know how much ze Germans like Hasselhoff so hopefully I can at least watch Knight Rider...a show like that transcends language




The only other heavy items I brought with me are books but these are mostly school related. I’ve kept a list of all of the books professors that I respect here at MIT have recommended and the other day on Amazon I went on a shopping spree. I’ve been told by a number of students that the beginning of the internship can be a little boring as you get acclimated to the new environment and company so it is a great opportunity to read.

7 comments:

  1. ...

    That is definitely wonderful news. Thank you for discussing it with us!...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...

    That is definitely great news. Thank you for sharing it with us!...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...

    FND Fantastic weblog, thanks a whole lot for that amazing posts! -ZQ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...

    QVM This write-up may well be pointed out on Twitter by somebody. truly? -HA....

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...

    DJE Quite inspiring publish, Thank you ! -JJ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...

    This really is definitely wonderful news. Thank you for sharing it with us!...

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...

    How’s it proceeding? I enjoyed reading through this submit. My husband and I have been exploring for this type of post for that longest time and We know that your data on the issue at hand is spot on. I'll be sure to introduce this posting to my neice...

    ReplyDelete