Saturday, March 28, 2009

Plant Trek Day 6

Day 6 - Nurnberg to Munich

Today was our last day on the bus! Woo! We got up early once again and made our way to Munich. Munich is an easier city to fly out of which is the only reason for the ride. We got to the train station around 10 AM and made our way to the hostel to drop off our bags (check-in was not until 2 PM). The hostel is called Wombats and it is fairly nice. It is a bit bigger and busier than some of the other hostles we have stayed at, but it is clean inside and feels safe which is all you really want for the cheap price. We actually have our own bathroom in the room which is even better. Once the bags were dropped we headed out.

You won’t believe me when I tell you this…but it was actually a nice day.


That is right, I did not need a jacket for most of the afternoon. Finally, spring break! We walked around town for a short time and then dropped in for a quick bite to eat before taking a ride on Mike’s Bike Tour.

Mike’s Bike Tour was awesome and if you are ever in Munich I cannot recommend it enough. We eventually got rained out and I am still glad I went. The guide was just one of those people (with charisma) that can talk to anyone and have a fun time. He even gets a crowd jazzed up and that just makes the whole event even better. While I have not taken the other tours, Mike’s also has tours in Berlin (I thought I read this but I don’t see it on the website) and Amsterdam. I have to assume these are of the same caliber and are also worth taking.

We went all over town and I snapped a number of pictures. Eventually we made our way to the second largest beer garden and had food and drinks. At this point it started to rain and we had to cut our tour short. We dropped off the bikes and walked home. At this point we were all pretty tired and wet so we took a break at the hostel before going to dinner.

We went to a local place for dinner that was not very touristy (no English menus) because we wanted to eat somewhere with a TV so we could watch the German national football team play Liechtenstein’s team. The game was not even close (Germany won four to nil) but the bar atmosphere was fun. After that we headed home (stopped by McDonald’s for McFlurries of course…only fair since the rest of the group got all the beer they wanted, so I get my ice cream) and then went to bed. Tomorrow we take public transit to the airport and head home to Boston.

3 comments: