Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Internships Posted! (Updated)

That vacuum you felt on Wednesday, February 18th, at 11:18 PM EST was 36 LFM students (plus SOs) collectively breathing in as they opened the word attachment listing the internship postings. Overall I think the interviewing and matching process went well and I would like to thank everyone who participated to make this happen for us. I am extremely grateful to have an internship (just talk to a number of 1st year Sloanies about where they will be this summer and they just shrug) and the fellowship that accompanies said internship.

After the initial vacuum, there were some celebrations…and a few sighs, groans, and moans. Overall, I think it is an excellent list. Did everyone get their first choice? NO! You can’t please everyone. When you are dealing with this many people, there is going to be controversy…but I went through each person/internship match and I would say that90% or more about 80% got an internship they are happy with. I can’t find anyone with a legitimately hard constraint (for example, a married person with kids that really needed to stay local) that did not get what they were looking for No longer a true statement.

Personally, I am thrilled with the internship that I got! I will be working with Novartis in Marburg Germany on a project involving the upstream process. For those of you (like me) who do not know where Marburg is, I have included a map.


The only negative about my internship is that it means that I will be separated from my wife for six months (she has a great job here in Cambridge and will continue to work here). No doubt that it will be tough for both of us, but this internship and program is such a great opportunity that the benefits outweigh the costs. We will do what we can to visit each other as much as possible during the process (I have to come back for mid-stream review and we are hoping to make one or two additional trips).

As far as the internship goes, I honestly don’t know what I am allowed to say about the internship (from a company confidentiality perspective) so I will say nothing for now. The class has two meetings next week with the LFM staff to discuss the internships in detail so hopefully I can post more about my internship after those meetings.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! I hope you have a good time out there. Some of my friends have been out there and they think it's quaint and kind of cool.

    Let's hope things stay flat or get better as far as internships are concerned for the class of '11: I'm holding my breath for the upcoming admissions decisions in two weeks.

    Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the great blogging Drew... I should probably reactivate my LFM blog =) Sad to hear about the hard constraint match though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is obviously a lot to know about this.

    ReplyDelete