Sunday, February 22, 2009

Themed Parties and Facial Hair

This past Friday we had another themed LFM party. This one was a European theme in honor of two visiting Finnish students who worked with two LFM students on a project. While the party participation was high, the theme participation was lower than normal. I think most people thought about what modern day Europeans wear (which is quite similar to what Americans wear) so they could not think of any good outfits. But European is a very broad category…you could be a medieval knight, a peasant from the dark ages, a fancy dress from the Victorian age, an 1800s sailor or solider, etc. My wife and I went a little more stereotypical (should be read: offensive to an entire nation). I turned a woman’s skirt from the Garmet District (a thrift store/costume shop in Cambridge) into a Scottish Kilt and my wife went as a French person. When I get more pictures from other people I will add them.


You may also notice the reddish brown dirt on my face. LFM has another tradition called Mustache March. The basic premise of the contest is for everyone to grow a mustache over a four week period, starting from a clean shaven face. The first two weeks you don’t have to have your hair cut into a mustache (hence my beard). The last two weeks you must have a mustache. When you think about it, most people do NOT look good with a mustache.
Kind of like Tom Sellek and his mustashe...individually, both Tom and Tom's mustache are amazing...but together they are unstopable

As mentioned before on this blog, Tom Sellek's mustache is NOT included in the list of poor looking mustaches


In the end, we setup a website with pictures of everyone where people can bid on the mustaches and the proceeds go to charity. All in good fun!

In the meantime, I look ridiculous. Don’t get me wrong, I am a fan of beards…but until they have grown in you just look silly. Women get maternity leave when they are pregnant…men should be able to take beard leave. During beard leave, the man is not required to make any public appearances until the beard has had at least three weeks to fill in. If said man cannot grow a descent beard in three weeks, he should take it as a sign that he is not intended to have facial hair. More to follow on Mustache March when the beard transforms into a mustache.

9 comments:

  1. ...

    FUW You’ve got your point through a great deal far better than I at any time could, thank you! -UA....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you......

    I twittered this..Ubbertwitter厃eah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...

    ELL Here is definitely an region that may well be of aid to you! -BH....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...

    You guys have a excellent weblog intending right here, KIU!...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...

    FGJ Very inspiring submit, Thanks ! -RS....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well written post, do you have an rss feed I can subscribe to?

    ReplyDelete